Monday, January 11, 2010

WHO'S YOUR MOMMY?

With a newborn everyone is always curious to see who the baby resembles- Mom or Dad. With you it was no different. Everyone said you looked just like your dad. In fact all anybody saw in you was your dad. Some said they didn't see any Japanese in you, others said you looked really white. Is that such a bad thing? I don't know.

All I know is that after 9 months of carrying you, 7 months of nausea, countless nights of only 4.5 hours of sleep, and 23 pounds later, all I had to show for it was a baby that looked nothing like me. Were you even my baby? Had the nurses switched you at birth? Or were you the mailman's child? Wait, how would that work?

Regardless, I felt a little left out. Days out of the house I sometimes had the suspect feeling that strangers thought I was the nanny. Paranoid? Maybe.

Then three months into your life, it finally happened. A total stranger (the photographer) said you looked just like me! All this while your dad was in the same room for comparison's sake. Just to be sure I asked the photographer if she saw any of your dad in you. Besides the same balding head, not really. Finally somebody saw me in you, and it made my day.

But then on second thought, you look a lot like someone else...

See the resemblance? And so if you and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man look alike, and you finally look like me, does this mean that I bear a strong resemblance to the guy too? Hmm...sounds like someone will be headed to the gym after this to work off those last few pounds of pregnancy weight.

1 comment:

  1. Same thing happened with Jack. There's a theory that says all babies look like the father when they're born, which dates back to caveman days - the baby had to look like the dad so that the father caveman would bond with it and not run away. Interesting, huh?

    ReplyDelete